Wonders of the IV Arrondissement - Tour Saint-Jacques




As we were returning to our hotel, in the La Marais district we ran across the Tour Saint-Jacques in the IV Arroindissement.  I will be honest, I am not quite yet sure if La Marais is part of the IV Arrondissement, or the IV Arrondissement is part of La Marais, but they are pretty close to each other.
This tower and surrounding park caught my attention because my name is Jacquelyn, which I shorten to Jacque, and any reference of Saint Jacques is of interest to me. 
The Saint-Jacques 170-foot bell tower is what remains of Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie Church.  The Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie Church was built in the 15th century.  The church was destroyed shortly after  the French Revolution.
The tower and the surrounding park was declared a Monument Historique in 1862, but was in disrepair.   The tower and park was reopened to the public on April, 18, 2009.



Location:
Square de la tour Saint-Jacques, 88 rue de Rivoli,4th arrondissement

Sources:


0 comments:

Post a Comment